1 lb ground beef
3 garlic cloves
1/2 yellow onion
1 tsp olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
28 oz can crushed tomatoes
2 tbsp chopped fresh basil
3 medium zucchini, sliced 1/8" thick
15 oz full fat ricotta
16 oz full fat mozzarella cheese, shredded
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, shredded
1 large egg
1. Start by cutting veggies (garlic, onion, basil, zucchini). Salt zucchini and let sit for at least 30 minutes, blot excess water with a paper towel. The zucchini strips make better noodles when excess water is removed.
2. In a medium sauce pan, brown ground beef, add salt and pepper, then drain the fat.
3. In another pan, saute garlic and onions in olive oil
4. Add tomatoes, basil, salt, and pepper and simmer on low for 30 minutes. Add ground beef and simmer for another 10 minutes. Sauce should have a thick consistency.
5. Preheat oven to 375F
6. In a bowl mix ricotta cheese, Parmesan cheese, and egg.
7. Using a 9 x 12 casserole dish, cover the bottom of the casserole dish with a layer of sauce. Next, add a layer of zucchini strips. On top of the layer of zucchini, spread the ricotta cheese mixture. Then add a layer of mozzarella cheese
9. Repeat step 7 in order until ingredients are all used. Keep in mind that the last layer should be zucchini topped with sauce
10. Cover the dish with foil and bake for 40-50 minutes.
11. Remove the foil, add mozzarella cheese and bake for another 10 minutes.
Servings: 8, Calories: 275, Total Fat: 13g, Saturated Fat: 7g, Cholesterol: 84mg, Sodium: 648mg, Carbohydrates: 13g, Fiber: 2.5g, Net Carbs:10.5 g, Protein: 26g
Adapted from: skinnytaste.com